Monday, October 1, 2007

Carbo/Gemzar

Hi dear family and friends. Thanks for every one's encouraging wishes via comments, emails, cards and phone calls.

I had my first round of Carbo and Gemzar - my new chemos, today. Dr. S doesn't think I will have any horrible side effects and my nurse agreed with him. Hopefully they are both right! He chose not to give me Aredia, the bone strengthener, this time so he could get a truer reading on how I was handling the new treatment. I also don't have to take Neulasta, unless future bloodwork says I need it. This combo, Carbo/Gemzar, usually plays havoc on platelets rather than white blood count. I am thankful to, hopefully, get a reprieve from Neulasta! I go in next Monday for the second treatment of Gemzar only and will get my Aredia at this time, too.

During my treatment I also get fluids, an anti-nausea medicine, and a steroid. These three things have given me a little vacation from the nausea and weakness this afternoon. I actually was able to go out to the mailbox and check the mail (which was late and not there, wouldn't you know) and grab the paper. I know this doesn't sound like much, but this morning I had to sit down in the middle of hanging up clothes to drip dry from the washing machine because I was so nauseous and weak feeling! Gotta love those drugs.

Is anyone else's allergies acting up? I feel like a gooey waterfall in cascading down the back of my throat. Yuck! Add to that the sneezing and runny nose and I am a poster child for allergies. I am sure this doesn't help my funky stomach!

Wish I had some fun news to report, but since I haven't traveled far from my comfy chair this last week, I don't have any stories. I am in fighting mode and appreciate your continued prayers as I try to knock this beasty to the ground! Charge!

5 comments:

nikkis30by30 said...

OK... on to the battle!!! You can do this!! Just going to take some time!!

Allergies.... blech!!! I don't have them near as bad as what you are describing but I do sneeze quite a bit. My husband has been as messy as it sounds you have!

Keep us posted on how this new cocktail treats you!! Hope this is the magic dose!

Diane Muir said...

When mom was beating back her cancer, I remember her talking about the visualization she was doing. And part of it was an infantry forging ahead, beating back the cancer cells. What a riot! So ... yes, I will be praying for that army of chemo to rage into battle.

Anonymous said...

Allergies are in full swing! We really missed your blog, and as so glad you are back!
We do hope the side effects are mild, and the beast is on his way out!
Keep "charging" Jacque!

Melanie D. said...

Was so glad to see your blog on my Google Reader! And glad that your day left you feeling better instead of worse.

I keep picturing the dandelions. And how you may be out in the yard right now, picking them by hand. But they will die. Those dandelions are goners!!!

Kick some @ss Jacque!!!

Midwest Beach Girl said...

I can just see you listening to battle music while receiving your treatment. There's Jacque staging a battle in her mind to Ride of the Valykyries or The March from the movie "The Great Escape". Onward Christian Soldier!!!!