Thursday, July 19, 2007

A Fun Day

What a fun day! I hosted a luncheon for my classroom coworkers - Melanie (my co-teacher), Donna (one of our paraprofessionals), and Timaree and Kathy - the two gals who were my long term subs when I could no longer teach. Natalie, another para, was invited, but got sick this week so wasn't able to come :-(. It was so nice to have a chance to visit with everyone. I am so appreciative of everything that they have done!

OK - tip for the day. Did you know that pesto has pine nuts in it? And did you know that people who are allergic to tree nuts are also allergic to pine nuts? Wouldn't you know, that the recipe I made today had pesto AND pine nuts. And, wouldn't you know, that Melanie is allergic to tree nuts! Now, I knew that she was allergic to tree nuts, so I was intending to hold out her portion and not sprinkle in the pine nuts - however, I DIDN'T know that pesto had pine nuts as part of the ingredients and had included it in my pasta's sauce. Luckily, when I made mention of making her a separate portion, Melanie said something about pesto having pine nuts (she wouldn't have realized pesto was an ingredient until it was too late) so I ended up making her a turkey sandwich. I am SO thankful we had the pesto conversation or we would have been taking her to the hospital! YIKES!
Here is the picture of the cupcake centerpiece and a picture of the group. You can't see their faces very well because of the light from the windows, but you can get the idea.



Donna, Melanie, Kathy & Timaree

The following is a picture of our night last week with our friend, Betsy, from Pennsylvania:


Jacque, Mark, Betsy, Steve, Diane

I may not get a blog written tomorrow as I am heading down to Nel Hills in Atchinson, KS with Diane and her long time friend, Kathy, who is visiting from the Carolinas (I can never remember which one). Nel Hills is a beautiful shop full of wonderful decorating things for the home. I will get home just in time to change clothes to head to the wedding of one of Mark's business associate's child. It will be a busy day!

4 comments:

Midwest Beach Girl said...

You were right, those centerpieces are fantastic! I love them!

I'm glad you put that in about the pine nuts. She's my cousin and even I did not know that! Oh, and way to go with the headscarf. You really pull it off. I showed a friend of my family how to tie one when she was going through chemo for her breast cancer, but she was just convinced that it did not look good. You look like my favorite choreographer, Mia Michaels!

nikkis30by30 said...

I agree with Stacey, love the centerpieces and the scarf!! Both are beautiful, not to mention the woman in the scarf!

Poor Mel... the stinkin tree nut thing gets her yet again!! Thing is, turkey sandwich or no, all she wanted was to hang out and that's what you all did. Doesn't matter the food, it's the people. And I bet she got a cupcake!! LOL!!

Have a great time this weekend! Can't wait to hear of all your adventures! And remember..... DON'T OVERDO IT!! (Do I sound like a mom yet?? ;-) )

Diane Muir said...

Ok ... those centerpieces were cool. I get awfully envious of you creative crafty type people. Anne Sulhoff went to Goodwill today, bought a pair of kids cowboy boots, stuffed a plant in them with gold mylar around it - and tied rope licorice like a lasso on the side as a gift. Argh! I never think of those things. But, I'm always so thankful for those of you who take the time to create beauty!

Have fun tomorrow!

Melanie D. said...

Love the pictures! The lighting is fine by me, hides my chins.

Really - the party was lovely and I think you are a fantastic hostess. I'm also excited about my wardrobe boost. Thanks for all!