Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Unlimited Possibilites

Co-Founders of Special Friends Prom: Kelsie and Katie
at last year's prom
2006 theme was Hawaiian Paradise
Some chose to dress Hawaiian
Everyone had a wonderful time.....

I made it to my board meeting last night, so had a list of things to do this morning. I spent time on the phone and my computer wrapping up some loose ends. The board I sit on - Unlimited Possibilities Inc (UP) - is an organization that provides social activities for Millard High School and Young Adult Program students with special needs. It began seven years ago when two young ladies were called (and I mean that in the true sense) to host a prom especially for these kids - and called it Special Friends Prom (SFP). It was an amazing, magical event. SFP continued on each year, but the co-founding girls realized, since they were seniors the year they started it and were both out of state for college, that they needed help, so started the UP board four years ago. I was happy to be asked to join. I became the student coordinator's sponsor as well as a board member. This year, because of my cancer diagnosis I had to step down in December and allow the other board members to take over my responsibilities. If you know me at all - you know this was hard for me to do. I like things 'just so' and pride myself on my organizational skills. But the board has done a fine job, as have the four student coordinators (general education students that do the planning and fund raising for the event each year). UP also hosts a Fall Dance for the students. Both events are fun and the students have such a great time. This year the Prom is on Saturday, April 21st. The events are always free for the students and countless Millard staff volunteer their time to make sure the students have a great time. 30 to 40 general education students are invited to ensure the special needs students have the time of their life. It truly is a magical evening. Students are given t-shirts, a professional picture, picture frame, and there is lots and lots of food. We rely totally on donations, so if you belong to an organization that is looking for a philanthropy project, please consider Unlimited Possibilities!

I am feeling rather achy this afternoon. I knew my feeling so well was going to be short lived. My only outing today was a quick trip to the grocery store and that is where I felt my hips and knees start to complain. At least this time I have pain pills if it gets too bad - so far Tylenol has helped. But at least I haven't been nauseous - a real Godsend! Hopefully my achyness will only last tomorrow and some of Friday - like last time. Say a prayer and keep your fingers crossed!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jacque-
I enjoyed the pictures. They seem to have had a great time!

Unknown said...

You like things 'just so'? I have two votes that that is the understatement of the century.

Di said...

"Just So" Jacque is why we love you!!! You have done so much for those students, and I know will continue to give your time and talents to make those events wonderful!!! The pictures were darling. I am sorry the aches arrived. I hope and pray they will be short lived. Remember you need your rest, so listen to your body! hugs, di

Melanie D. said...

Thanks for the post. You've got me all excited for my 1st prom! We got a sitter so Jay and I will both be there.

I hope you are not achy on your b-day. So much to celebrate this year - I'm so glad your heart and lungs have been more cooperative and you've been able to be so active! Thinking back to those hospital stays you've endured over the last 4 (5?) months, it's overwhelming.

Happy early birthday, I will probably talk to you tomorrow!