Saturday, January 6, 2007

The Big C

Hi family and friends, Unfortunately, I am writing this because I am having a recurrence of breast cancer. I have faithfully been going to my oncologist every six months for check ups - and less than 6 months ago everything was seemingly fine. However, 3 to 4 weeks ago my body started causing some problems, first manifesting in atrial fib (the heart beats rapidly and irregularly). While being treated for this, I began experiencing shortness of breath. The cardiologists kept putting me off about the shortness of breath, so I finally went to my family doc who ordered an xray, then a cat scan, and found that my right lung lining was filled with fluid. After having it tapped and almost 2 liters of fluid was removed I felt much better. I missed the last two weeks of school before Christmas break, but the awesome team I work with and my wonderful sub put me at ease as they handled all the semester's end hub bub. I was able to go on the last school day of the semester, so I got to see all my students and give them a hug. That was great!
When the lung lining fluid was tested it showed cancer cells were present. Further tests showed I also had involvement in my bones. My oncologist decided to treat me with two drugs. One drug is a hormone killer (the cancer needs hormones to grow) the other drug will keep my bones strong and keep them from hurting. I had my first treatment last week and tolerated it very well. I am to have this shot and IV once a month. In a few months, the oncologist will run tests to see if the drugs are slowing the cancer's growth. Remission is what we are praying for.
Sunday evening (New Year's Eve) I had trouble sleeping, was experience A fib again and was short of breath. I suspected the fluid was back, but Monday was New Years day, and the oncologist on call said I would need to be hospitalized, because of the holiday and yada yada yada, so with her OK, I decided to wait until Tuesday to have it checked.
Tuesday, my oncologist (Dr.Silverberg) did an xray - and indeed the fluid was back. He kindly found a pulmonary doc that could get me in immediately that day and I headed over to his office. This doc (Dr. Thommi) had time for me because he, himself, was coming back that very day from extended time off for heart surgery . He is an excellent pulmonologist, and I feel very blessed that it 'worked out' that he could see me. (Thank you, God).
He tried to tap into the fluid, but it wouldn't come. He finally got a little to come, but he said it was so full of infection it wasn't flowing very well. He pulled up my records from the last tap and said it had been infected back then but it must have been missed. I had so many docs at that time who had a finger in my initial diagnosis and tap, I don't know who was responsible for this oversight, but it is water under the bridge. Thank God, Dr. Thommi discovered it. He closed me up and gave me a choice of days to go into the hospital.
As I type I am at Methodist Hospital, room 832. I arrived here on Wed. Dec. 3. It is a lovely private room (something else that is a blessing), and for the most part I have had a very kind and skillful nursing staff.
The pulmonologist put a large drain tube in my plueral area (space between lung and chest wall) Wed. morning and it has been there ever since, draining all kinds of interesting look 'stuff'. It is amazing how much unneeded 'stuff' your body can produce when it is in distress.
The drain tube will stay in until the pulmonary doc feels it has slowed enough to do a procedure to close the pleural area, which keeps the fluid from accumulating. I also am receiving IV antibiotic drugs. As I have told visitors, if I could just cut that portion of my body out and set in on a shelf to heal, I would feel just fine (albeit a bit more tired than usual). I don't know how long I will be here, but initally the doc said to plan on 7 days.

I plan on updating this blog every now and then to keep everyone informed. It is such a weird thing, and many people get confused when I try to explain it. It is also possible that I myself don't truly understand what is going on, since this is all new territory for me, too. But I expect to learn as I go.
Now, dear family and friends, if you could please say an occasional prayer for me and put me on any prayer lists you might have I would be so appreciative. No matter what hardship is put in our path, God is always there, guiding, directing and giving hope.
I like to 'envision' things in the future, and for right now I envision myself back at school in a week and a half, feeling strong and ready to teach. I don't know if this is what will happen, but that is my vision!
Seize the day!
Love, Jacque

No comments: