Monday, January 22, 2007

Chocolate Is Not My Friend

Being a major chocoholic, I am sad to report that it is now on my no-no list. Before I knew what was happening with my body (the heart racing, cancer and lung complications) I had noticed that caffeine made my heart race. I quit drinking regular coffee and tea - and had noticed that at times even chocolate caused symptoms.
During my stay in the hospital, chocolate lost all of it's appeal. I am sure this was because of the c-diff intestinal infection - everything had lost it's appeal - but chocolate? Yesterday, there was a bowl of chocolates left over from the holidays sitting on the kitchen counter, so I picked out a nice big truffle. It tasted great! Within the hour I felt my heart start to race and go into Atrial Fib - again. My cardiologist sent me to my doc to get an EKG to confirm - which is a bit irritating as I am waiting on a home heart monitor that won't get here until sometime today. If I had it yesterday I wouldn't have had to make the trip for the EKG. I had just been to the doc's that morning to have a blood test - sigh. In four to five hours my heart calmed down on its own. I won't be eating chocolate again any time soon!

I feel stronger, but my lung feels the same to me. Doctors orders are to not deep breathe and to not do anything that gets me winded - along with limiting talking. In other words, sit in a chair or lay down. Very boring. I can move around the house - at least the first level (luckily, our bedroom is on the first floor) so the scenery is much better than the hospital. Also, since we have digital tv I have more than 6 channels to watch. I can't remember when I have watched this much tv!
Healing is a slow process and I am learning to be patient - or at least trying to be patient. I am touched by everyone's kindness and willingness to help. Again, your prayers are valued.

3 comments:

Melanie D. said...

No chocolate - got it! Kind of a bummer, but exciting that you've found a trigger. I am so glad that you are able to be home now, the scenery is much lovelier in your home.

I will see you tomorrow - bringing dinner. If anything sounds good to you, would you please please please tell me today. I would make you whatever you want. Take advantage - it's not everyday that you get a short order cook who will deliver meals to your door! And also - if there's anything else you need from the outside world - let me know.

One thing you are going to have to do for your friends (a favor to us) is to ask of us what you need. :-)

I'm having paperwork day today - I'd appreciate prayers that my mind will focus and I can get a ton of work off of this desk!!!
I will see you tomorrow!

cko said...

Omigosh! Chocolate?! That's some serious craziness if you ask me! =(

As I've become ridiculously obsessed with Netflix, I've taken the liberty of enrolling you in it for the next month. Just think of ALL of the movies you'll be able to catch up on! Next time we play SCENE IT, you'll be the new GREG! (Check your email for details)

Hope you're feeling better and better each day. Hey, and if you need anyone to take those "nasty" truffles off your hands, you know who to call.

Love you!
COURTNEY

Krista said...

No chocolate! That is just too much! Good thing you only ate one of those tasty treats!! Think what might have happened!
I'm going to drop a treat off at your house on your porch but I won't interrupt your resting. It will be like a May Day basket. So, be prepared.
Glad you have such a positive attitude and have patience in your healing process!
Krista