Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Goodbye

How does one begin to say goodbye to a friend? My friend and coworker, Patty Stone, died this morning from colon cancer. She leaves behind her husband, Gene, and three children, Meredith, Nick & Hillary, as well as numerous young adults with disabilities that she and Gene provided a home for over the years.

Patty had a kind and generous heart. She was smart, funny and a talented cook. She loved to sing (we sat together in church choir) and was a talented pianist. She loved her children and was so proud of them - as well she should have been. I spoke briefly with Patty yesterday afternoon. She sounded so weak. She told me that it was the last time we would speak. I told her I hoped not, but if it was so, I would see her in heaven and that I loved her. I hung up the phone and cried. I will always be grateful for this chance to speak to Patty one last time.

This morning I went to school to be with my coworkers and to help break the news to our students. It was a rough morning, but I was comforted being with those who also had wonderful memories of this great woman. One of my students had stepped into another classroom to have a little time to process. I went in to speak with him, and another student was also sitting with him. I knew they were both Christians and took their faith seriously. I sat down with them and said, "I couldn't say this in front of the whole class, but we know where Mrs. Stone is right now - in heaven. And she isn't in pain anymore." The student said, "Last night I prayed that Mrs. Stone could be out of pain." I told him that his prayers had been answered - that we didn't want Mrs. Stone to go, but we also didn't want her to be in pain. He seemed so grown up and mature right then. I was so proud of him.

When I got to school it was announced that Peg Seversen had also died this morning - from endometrial cancer. If you have followed this blog you will remember she came to my house for a visit shortly after I got home from the hospital. She and I had shared a wig and hats with our first treatments. Peg taught art at Millard South. She was an amazing teacher and had such a heart for all the students. Patty had worked in Peg's room assisting our students when they took her art class. Patty and Peg had a real respect for each other. I envisioned them holding hands as they walked through heavens gates.

This afternoon I am tired -emotionally & physically. Grieving is hard work.

4 comments:

Melanie D. said...

Well said, friend. Take care of yourself. Please, take care of yourself.

And thank you - for being there with me today.

Diane Muir said...

I'm so thankful that Patty left such a legacy ... of memories, of strength, of grace. It's hard to imagine life without these people who have impacted us in so many ways ... and yet, it's so natural to know that they are in heaven. God is so good ... even when it hurts.

Di said...

Jacque,
I just wept when I read your blog today. I am so very sorry to know you have lost such a wonderful friend, but also comforted that she is in a better place. It is never easy to say good-bye........Patty sounded like such an amazing lady. Her memories will live on.
Rest up dear friend, di

Jenster said...

This is my first time at your blog - I came here from No Surrender. I, also, am a cancer survivor and a woman of deep faith. I don't think I could have managed the former without the latter.

Your post made me cry and at the same time, I could sense the joy. The joy that your friend is no longer in pain and she's singing her little heart out in praise to God!