Saturday, May 26, 2007

Climbing Out

Not a bad day for my 'climbing out of the blahs' day. It was raining this morning so, since Mark couldn't work on the deck, we jumped in Mark's truck and drove to York to put flowers on Dad's grave. It was also a chance to see York's town square, which was forever changed when a fire raged through the south side of the square earlier this year. It was a quick trip - we were home before noon. (For those that don't know - York is 90 miles from where we live - so it really was a quick trip!)

This afternoon I ran some errands, ending with picking up some fillets at Fareway to grill out sometime this weekend. Yum! We plan on going out with friends this evening - so I will probably take a little snooze pretty soon.

My friend, Diane O, is officially retired! She has been teaching elementary students for a long time and has positively impacted many young lives. She now gets to take a well deserved rest - but knowing her - she won't be relaxing too much!

Mark and I decided this week that I should go ahead and take disability retirement. I was still holding out - thinking I would maybe go back to teaching one day - but the reality is, even if I go in remission (which, of course, I intend to do) the stress of my job would not be conducive to remaining healthy. When I look at the class that my co-teacher, Melanie, will have to deal with next year (she stepped into my position), I know that I wouldn't have the stamina to do the job justice. So, I too am officially retired.

The sun is trying to shine - so enjoy the day!

4 comments:

Annette said...

Congratulations on making a decision about school. I went back and taught a full year after being diagnosed in June of 2004 and getting my central line put in and with being on the Flolan IV medicine 24/7. I was determined that even though the PH took my health, it wasn't going to get ahold of my passion of teaching first graders. By Thanksgiving I had to start using one sick day a week (Thursdays, library day) and when I had a pump failure (which means I have 5-7 minutes to get things fixed or I could die) in front of 25 first graders, I started thinking I might need to take some time off. I took one year leave of absence thinking I might be able to go back the 2nd year. Then I took the "allowed" 2nd year leave and then this year, I had to quit. I'm going through all of the disability stuff now. But, the point of going into this long diatribe about myself on your blog is that I wanted you to know I understand how hard it is to make that decision. Personally, I planned on teaching at least another 10 if not 15 years. So, I'm sorry that you had to make that tough decision, but I'm glad that you did. Now it's bon-bon time!!

Diane Muir said...

Good for you. A decision made soon will allow you to begin to make progressive decisions - about new things in your life! And what fun that can be!

It certainly doesn't sound like you will ever be bored. I have yet to figure out how you did everything AND teach all day long. Are you kidding me?

Love you! Diane

Melanie D. said...

I hope it will be a relief. No regrets.

I think that there are several things with Unlimited Possibilities that will keep you as busy as you want to be! Not to mention the Transition Team.

Di said...

Dear Jacque,
We can be old retired teachers together!!! I am sure they will be able to tell our former profession the minute we walk into the stores together. I think it was a good decision, even though I know it was a hard one.

Rest up this week-end and continue hopefully feeling better each and everyday.
hugs, di