Sunday, May 6, 2007

Weekend Post

Saturday morning I woke up feeling somewhat better - less achy - and ready to get back to life. Mark and I started out the morning with the thought of going to three different stores to price a new dishwasher and fridge. We started at Nebraska Furniture Mart (NFM) - which, for those of you not from around here, is a hugemongous store that covers many blocks and contains oodles of furniture and electronics. This weekend also happens to be the Berkshire Hathaway weekend where people from all over the world congregate in Omaha to be wined and dined AND get great deals at stores affiliated with BH founder, Warren Buffet. Of course, yesterday morning just happened to be the day NFM was hosting the BH conglomerate. When we saw the cars lined up to enter the NFM parking lot Mark was unsure he wanted to brave the crowds, but we went in and got assistance right away. Within a few minutes we had found what we wanted, been given a pretty smooth deal and decided to forgo the other stores and just purchase there. While waiting for our sales lady to write our order up I started getting light headed and felt like I was going to take a nose dive. Our sales gal went to get a chair, but I ended up plunking down on a low ledge on the counter as I didn't want to end up on my nose on the floor. While paying the cashier I had to leave Mark to finish up so I could again sit down. I finally decided my blood pressure was low and I was hungry. We stopped and grabbed a Philly sandwich before going on to Target to pick up a few groceries needed for Sat. evening. I still was a bit shaky, but better than I had been at NFM. When I got home I took my blood pressure and it was still pretty low. I rested for awhile and then felt better - and my bp was back to normal. I don't know why my body doesn't cooperate with my time frame of getting back to normal after treatment!

Last night we had a pleasant evening at one of Mark's hunting buddy's game feed. Rick and his wife Cathy had an amazing spread of appetizers and food. Dinner included roasted goose (which I found out Mark had shot last fall), duck nuggets, and pheasant/asparagus alfredo. Rick cooked the entire meal and I was very impressed! Another hunting buddy had brought an appetizer of deer tenderloin which was very tender and tasty. Now, as a child, I was subjected to eating all kinds of wild game and fish. My dad, and later my brother, were/are avid fans of the big hunt. My dad's philosophy about food was you didn't ever complain and you ate it - period. I never enjoyed too many varieties of wild game but had to keep my opinion to myself. I could tolerate deer and that was about it. Lakes and ponds in Nebraska are pretty muddy on the whole so in my opinion fish from our ponds, etc. taste like good ole Nebraska soil. Hence, when I married a hunt lover I explained to him that as an adult I did not have to eat wild game, so it would not be a regular part of our lives regardless of how many ducks, geese, pheasants and deer steaks were in our freezer. I would NEVER think to myself - hmmmm, I think we will have pheasant tonight! However, I told him if he would ask for it, I would prepare it for him. Well, Mark never asks so the birds stay in our freezer until he finally gives them away. I have, at times, had some of his hunting buddies over to help clean out a few of them, but again - it isn't top on my list of things to prepare.

Guess it is time to go get ready for church. Have a blessed day!

No comments: