Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Side Effects

http://www.catclipart.net/
Chemo has a kaleidoscope of diverse side effects: can't keep your eyes open to insomnia; constipation to diarrhea; chills to hot flashes; low temp to low grade fever; high blood pressure to low blood pressure - the list goes on. The problem is, you never know which side effect or which end of the spectrum will rear it's ugly head at any one time. None of this in insurmountable - just an irritating fact of life for the chemo patient.

This is also the week I expect to be at my low spot in my outlook on life. I am sure it is some reaction to the meds/chemo - so I know I can prepare myself and do things to keep my spirits up - but it is still present and still something I have to contend with. As I have said before, it is easy to be upbeat when you feel good - not so much when your feel crumby.

A couple of good things I didn't mention yesterday. My oncologist said my right lung sounded really good! The nurses at Rehab had said the same thing - but I didn't trust their opinion since I am still rather new to them - but when the oncologist said it I was happy! I am not scheduled to see my pulmonologist until the end of July, so maybe I will be WAY improved by then!

My onc also said that I was looking very good and even though he won't have me scanned for awhile he was encouraged and thought the chemo was doing 'it's thing'. I have felt the same way so it was nice of him to reiterate it to me. I do have an achy hip, but the pain comes and goes so I think it is probably from my exercises and arthritis that I have had for years. I sure hope so anyway!
Another good thing that happened yesterday was when the phlebotomist asked for my birthday (4.12.53) and then looked shocked and said I looked more like a 1963! Smile. Just what a hairless wonder needed to hear as she prepared to get her treatment, especially since I have been feeling like I look more like a 1943.

My friend, Lynne, emailed me to say she read somewhere that coffee shops brew their regular and decaf coffees in the same pot and there is enough residual caffeine left to effect those sensitive to it. When I got my shot today my nurse said if they use the same grinder, it too will have enough left over regular to take away the caffeine free status. I really think that is what happened to my heart yesterday as I got a large cup since I was going to be sitting for a long time getting chemo, and the timing was about right. Makes sense anyway!

4 comments:

Melanie D. said...

I know you may feel cruddy this week...and I haven't spent any time with you when you have felt cruddy (since the hospital weeks anyway - long since forgotten) and maybe it won't help to hear this...but when I see you, I sort of forget that you are even sick. I hope you understand that this in no way discounts what you're going through or how many prayers come from the Dostal house in your name...but you just look and sound so good. Same smile. Same stride. It does my heart good.

How's that for some run on and fragment sentences for ya, Teach?

Diane Muir said...

Ok ... I have to think up some weird things to entertain you this week! (hehe). Today, as we were eating at PepperJax, the TV was on "Amazing Videos" or something. There was a video of a guy cleaning up after an elephant (his back end) and ended up with his head up the elephants backside. I'm going to have to send you the link! (hehe)

You see, that's how I handle stress - I think it's because of Max. The brain goes into morbid, odd and strange mode! Love you!

Diane Muir said...

Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfACY964rQs

JustAnotherDay said...

Jacque,

My prayers are with you this week as you go through treatment and some not so good feeling times. I pray that this week goes by fast and that you feel much better soon!

Love, Courtney