Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Loose Ends (A Pun)

PEO was fun last night. It was out at one our member's homes on a lake and it was so lovely looking out her windows to the lake below. We had a great meeting and lots of visiting time afterwards. It was good to get back to my PEO 'sisters'!

This morning I took Carolyn to the hospital for her epidural. She fared as well as can be expected when having your spine punctured numerous times with a needle. This time they sedated her, and while she remembers the whole procedure she didn't feel each time the needle was plunged in - a blessing I am sure.

I spoke with mom and she is feeling better from her bout with bronchitis, but still has a ways to go until she is 100%.

This next section is concerning a rather delicate subject, so if you don't like bodily function stories - skip this part:
While waiting for Carolyn's epidural to be done I ran some errands. Unfortunately, while at Kohl's my prior night's laxatives decided to kick in. Luckily the restroom was deserted so was able to get in and out without the embarrassment of having an audience. I then went to Bed Bath and Beyond and then Stems (a florists). At the florists I felt a little twinge - but thought it couldn't be anything too bad, since I had just had my purging at Kohl's. I started heading to the hospital to pick up Carolyn, and realized that no, I hadn't purged as much as I thought. I parked in the hospital's circle drive and ran in to find a restroom. Unfortunately, privacy was not to be had. The restroom was THE place to be. Oh well - didn't know any of them - thank goodness!!!!! I went home, put my feet up for a bit and after a time I decided that my problem must have passed. I had a half a sandwich for lunch and then decided to go look at new cars at a car lot not too far from our house (which turned out to be a good thing). I met a nice salesman, he got keys to a car and we were off for a test drive. Half way through the drive - another twinge. Uh oh ... We got back to the lot and the nice salesman kept talking and explaining and so on - all the while my twinges were quickly turning into cramps. I finally, hastily, told the nice salesman that I had to go. He asked me to wait just a minute so he could get me a brochure to which I said 'NO, I am not feeling well, I need to go now!' Well, I made it home, but lets just say I didn't make it to where I needed to be in order to be considered home free. Sigh. Side effects. So nice. Chemo causes constipation. Chemo also can cause diarrhea. So, you play Russian roulette - which will it be? Your guess is as good as mine.

So I cleaned up, put on sweat pants and a t-shirt and was going to kick back, when Carolyn asked how my shot went. Drat! I forgot I had to go get my Neulasta shot today - the one that makes me feel crumby but helps keep my white blood count where it needs to be. So, I got dressed and headed off to get my shot. Afterwards I decided to be brave and go to another dealership. Yea, I know, not real smart. However, I didn't have anymore twinges and had a successful test drive and even swung by the other dealership to get the brochure I had to bypass earlier.

Now it is 8:45 and I am tired. I didn't sleep much last night due to the steroids given me during my chemo yesterday, so I will be heading off to bed very soon. Goodnight!

3 comments:

Diane Muir said...

Oh my goodness ... more poop stories! I'm sure I've mentioned over and over that these things send me into gales of laughter. I'm sorry you had to deal with the embarrassment, but at some point, it just becomes hilarious! (maybe not?)

I'm glad another chemo is down, you've had the neulasta shot and now it's time to head down and back up again! Always praying for you.

Melanie D. said...

I shouldn't laugh - I know I shouldn't. But I just picture you running around to all of these places...and then the "twinge" as you call it. It's not funny. I know. But you write with humor. :0)

We're off to CO this morning. I will check in when we get back. I hope all goes well for you. It's Hump Day! And I hope the hump is small for you this time and that you get over it quickly.

Talk to you soon.

Rosebud said...

I'm not laughing at you..just with you. Been there, thrown away that..LOL rosebud