Sunday, February 25, 2007

1.6!

My pro-time (how thin my blood is) dropped to 1.6 - with the help of a vitamin k tablet!!!! Yippee!!! Now I can have my lung drained. My pulmonolgist stopped by awhile ago and said he would be back in a bit to tap my lung. I asked if he would have to do the talc procedure, but he said no, he would need to drain it two or three more times before he went that route. Sigh - thank you Lord. PLEASE make my cancer treatments kick in and make this go away on its own!
The cat scan showed no blood clots and my heart and blood pressure have been behaving. I am hoping the doc will release me yet today. Keep your fingers crossed.
Last night's sleep was fairly non existent. Between having been given a diuretic, hallway noise and being hungry from eating a light supper, it was a short night. I was awake from 12:30 until 2:00 having a snack, watching TV and reading. I made myself 'pretend' to sleep from then until 4. I probably dozed during that time - but it certainly didn't feel like it. I finally got up at 4:00, showered and got ready for the day. I am groggy today, but napping has never been easy for me - especially in the hospital.
This morning an old lady stood outside my door and sang old time songs (Let me call you sweetheart, etc.). I would guess she sang 4 complete songs in a loud wavery voice. I am not sure what was going on - but hopefully she is the one who called out a good share of yesterday 'help, help me, help!'. If it was, this means she is not feeling so frightened today. I couldn't see her as my door was partially closed, but I just pretended she was caroling. It made me smile. She sounded so happy.
I am going to stop this blog right here and resume once the procedure is done. So the next paragraph will be post procedure....

As of 11:30 the procedure is done. It was grueling. The spot he had to tap was high up on the ribs. That area is inflamed and was very painful whether he was anesthetizing or pushing the needle and tube between the ribs. I made some noises that reminded me of when I went through child birth (just not so loud). When he pushed the tube in it felt like my ribs exploded under my right breast- like a bullet was shot from the inside out. It was so weird. I had a little scream for that one. My kind nurse let me squeeze her hand - I hope I didn't hurt her! I also had the overwhelming need to cough, which of course you aren't suppose to do - reminded me of having to refrain from pushing in childbirth - but not so intense. Dr. Thommi had to stop for awhile to let me calm my breathing and coughing. I found that by sitting up straighter I could stop the coughing. He was so kind and apologized over and over again for hurting me. He got 1 liter out and said he thought he got it all. He said it is so hard to tell the amount of fluid with an ultrasound - especially so high up in the lung. I have to stay in bed for 1 hour and then I can get up and move around. I am looking forward to walking and not gasping with every step!!!! I have to stay in the hospital overnight and if all goes well I will go home tomorrow. In the morning I have an ultrasound of the heart scheduled (to see if the fluid around it from last month has gotten better or worse) and another x-ray of the lungs. If they all look good they will release me. Prayers, please!
As I sit here typing I realized that my breathing has become so much better. Not labored at all. Hallelujah!

3 comments:

Diane Muir said...

Well, whew! At least that is over for you. We're praying that tomorrow's post comes from your comfortable house, in your comfortable chair! (hehe)

Krista said...

Jacque,
As I sit here and watch the Oscars, I realize how frivolous it is compared to what you are going thru! I hope that all of your tests come out ok so that you can go home and heal. Stay home from school and sit in your comfy chair and watch the snow melt.
Hang in there. Your strength will get you through!
Krista

Krista said...

Jacque,
As I sit here and watch the Oscars, I realize how frivolous it is compared to what you are going thru! I hope that all of your tests come out ok so that you can go home and heal. Stay home from school and sit in your comfy chair and watch the snow melt.
Hang in there. Your strength will get you through!
Krista