Friday, February 16, 2007

Health Improvements

I had the day off. I spent the morning being very lazy, napping in my chair and watching a movie. Then I headed to my pulmonologists appointment in the afternoon. My doc said the air bubble at the top of the lung is gone (yippee!). Also, the fluid in the lung is still there, but it has improved (yea!). However, there are pockets of fluid along the side of my lung in the lining - left over from the plural effusion that started this whole thing. The doc plans on waiting a month, rechecking it, then deciding if he needs to do anything, like drain it. He stated it is different than the original effusion, as the original fluid was free flowing from top to bottom and this is just pockets. I am to exercise for 15 minutes each day to see if this helps with both the lung fluid and the lining fluid. I had thought that since I was teaching I shouldn't overdo it with the exercise, but he said it needed to be 15 minutes solid - so I will start riding my exercise bike daily.
After my appointment I went to Old Chicago restaurant to meet my friends Diane and Betsy for an afternoon visit. Betsy is a long time friend that moved away years ago. She is living in Pennsylvania and was back in town for a niece's wedding. It was wonderful seeing her after all this time. She looked just like Betsy should look, and the years fell away as we visited and reminisced.

On Wednesday, I asked my cardiologist if she thought the wine I had Saturday night might have caused my heart issues on Sunday morning. She didn't think it was likely, but said some people were very sensitive to alcohol and suggested trying a drink sometime to see if I had the same reaction. Well, today I had one beer along with some yummy appetizers while visiting with Diane and Betsy. By the time I arrived home my heart was tap dancing. Question answered! No more alcohol for me! I will just enjoy virgin drinks from now on.
Enjoy your weekend. Too bad we can't have three day weekends every week!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI, Jacque!
I talked to your mom today. She sounds as if she is getting along pretty good, but of course, she would,nt complain is she wasn't. It sounds as if Ken will be visting her tomorrow, and she is looking forward to seeing him.
We are having high winds now (45 mph), but it got up to 40 degrees so the snow melted and is not blowing. I am looking forward to having warm weather next week! Hopefully, I'll be able to ride my broncs!
I'm glad that you are back to work and having a more normal life. Being sick is for the birds:
We do enjoy reading your blogs.
Keep up the great spirit.
Love, Zora

Melanie D. said...

Well - your heart is certainly determining that you WILL have a 100% healthy diet. What's next? White flour?!!? Sugar?!?! All carbs!?!? You're obviously going to have to find another guilty pleasure. Shopping? :-) Glad you had a good day off. Mine was productive, but a little exhausting. Not to mention my new haircut, which I'm not sure yet if I like or not. I'll see you bright and early Monday.

Unknown said...

No more booze!!! Well since greg's finally turning 21 I guess we know who will be DDing from now on. Thanks for volunteering! Hope the weekend is going well, I'll give you guys a call tomorrow.