Monday, February 5, 2007

Back to Work




What a day! It felt odd this morning getting up at 5:30 to get ready for school. There were many (actually most) mornings during my convalescence that I have been awake at this time - just not taking a shower, putting on makeup and doing my hair.
I am an early bird at school, usually one of the first in our department (and building) to arrive. I have an office right off of my classroom, and I found that my door had been decorated to look like a big pink package (in case you don't know, pink is the official color denoting breast cancer). Inside there were streamers making a canopy on the ceiling and pink grass spread on my desk. My chairs even had pink crepe paper bows on the arm. Pink balloons decorated the room along with a message of welcome on the board from my co-workers. So nice.
Then I was off to our Monday morning department PLC meeting, where I was greeted by all my department coworkers in pink - even the guys! In the Sped office, everyone had brought pink treats. Wasn't that nice?
Now fast forward a few hours, and my immediate coworkers (co-teacher, sub and paras) had made a lovely brunch to serve to our department! Do you think there is any way I couldn't have felt special - and honored - and blessed?
It was great to see all my students and to catch up a little on what has been happening in their lives. They were so happy to see me, but were sad when they realized my sub's last day would be Thursday. She has done such an amazing job. One boy wondered why we couldn't just keep teaching together like we did today. Wouldn't THAT be nice!
I only taught a half of a day this morning, but I still feel a nap coming on. I don't think it was the teaching that made me so tired so much as the incessant beeping of my heart monitor all night long. I think I am going to ask very soon to unhook at night - I don't think I have had any 'episodes' lately while I sleep, so I am hopeful my cardiologist will agree. I need some good solid sleep!
I am going to go pull out one of the marvelous meals in my freezer for tonight's supper, sit in my comfy chair, and take a nap. Have a great rest of the day!

4 comments:

Melanie D. said...

Good picture! ;-) I'm so glad your first day back was great. You looked so good and seemed to hang right in there. Didn't skip a beat in whipping these kids back into shape! I think a few were at odds today - had to make sure you're still your old self! They found that out quick!!! So glad you're back - we will continue to pray that your cancer will fade just as this infection has. See you tomorrow!

Beth said...

Finally had time to check the blog and catch up your healing process. What a journey! Loved the stories of your co-workers wearing pink and having pink treats,how wonderful to be surrounded by such a great supportive group! Hang in there my friend.

JustAnotherDay said...

I am SO GLAD you had a wonderful day back at school! I had a great time with you guys this weekend! Thanks for everything :)

Diane Muir said...

What a fabulous group of coworkers. Gosh, you couldn't ask for much more! Its got to feel so wonderful to be back to normal (or a semblance thereof).Yea!