Saturday, February 24, 2007

Hospital Again

Ok, lets start out with the positives. I am thankful that I live in America - where health care is excellent. I am thankful that my doc is taking a pro-active stance. I am thankful that due to my last visit I was able to pack efficiently for this visit. I am thankful (and hopeful) that this will be a short (2 to 3 day) visit.
I am back at the hospital because my breathing has become more labored and my blood pressure went quite high. Thankfully the BP has calmed down. Everything about this is a quandary. Is it the lung? Is it the heart? Is it the meds? God forbid, the cancer?
I will be here for another major snowstorm. They are still predicting 6 -8" of snow, starting at 6 this evening. I have a better view from my new hospital room and two chairs rather than just one. The room is smaller, but seems to be fine - especially with two chairs (again the little things)
I had to leave for awhile while doing this blog. I had an ultrasound and the pocket of fluid on top of my lung contains up to 2 liters of fluid. WHAT? That is how much was in the whole plural effusion that started this whole thing - and they thought THAT was ginormous!!!! The ultra sound tech said she is working with a flat dimension, so can't judge precisely - but said it was big. No wonder I can't breathe! Next I have to have a CAT scan to make sure there isn't a blood clot in the lung - which I don't thing so - wouldn't it just be the fluid? Anyway, Dr. Thommi said, obviously, the talc treatment didn't work in that area. I don't know if that means he will do it in that area again or not. It frightens me because that is what got my heart all out of sorts the last time. I sure don't want to go through all of that again, if it can be helped. I will just have to pray and trust that my new meds will keep it stable.
The nurse just stopped in to say my pro-time is too high - 2.4 - so the tap won't be today. Sigh.
The good news is, everyone who sees me here says I look too healthy to be in the hospital. You know - this healthy look can be a good thing or a bad thing. What is bad about it is when you are in duress - you don't look it - so people don't take you seriously. But I feel fortunate that my body must be strong to be able to maintain when others would be crumpled to the ground. For this I am thankful. It must be the good Anderson farming (second generation) stock I come from.

My hospital number at Methodist is 402-354-3810. I so appreciated all the TLC I received when last hospitalized. I still have many magazines, books and snacks to enjoy while at the hospital. I plan on being out of here soon (please my dear Lord) so hold off on your wonderful floral contributions (I had a lovely garden the last time!). My tray is sitting outside my room and the smell is making me salivate - I can't have it until after my CAT scan - so hopefully it will be palatable.
Send up those prayers, friends and relatives! I am envisioning being home by Monday!

3 comments:

Melanie D. said...

Jacque - I'm so sorry this happened. :-( The good news is that if you weren't strong - you wouldn't look healthy, right? I will pray for you. The thing that impresses me most, here you are in the hospital and you leave me thoughts on my own blog on what I'm going through that bring tears to my eyes. I wandered over to Jacque's Place after reading your comments only to see what you are dealing with. Leave it to you to take care of me, rather than saying a thing about yourself! I am so glad you are in my life - and hope very much that this hospital visit won't lead to a major setback in your stamina, you were doing so great! I will talk to you soon. I think I'll let you be tonight, you're probably with family. Call me if you're bored and I'll check in with you tomorrow.

Diane Muir said...

Ack!!! Well, I'm sorry that this has happened again. I thought I had checked your blog only a short time ago - but, obviously it was much earlier this morning. You've continued in my prayers, but we'll step this up and hopefully you'll get out quickly! Love you!

joanie skar said...

Hi Jacque:
Just a note to let you know we care!!
You and Mark are in our prayers. Hopefully this will be a short stay in the hospital. We will continue to check up on you.
God Bless and We love both of you.
Al and Joanie