Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Chemo # 9

I got a late start to my chemo appointment and then hit every stop light and construction delay possible. The cancer center parking lot was full and I had to sit in a long line to get into the overflow parking garage, then had to drive in circles to finally find a spot. Walked over to the center (no shuttles there at that time) and got to my lab appointment 15 minutes late. Had to sit for 15 minutes for them to draw lab work and another 15 minutes at my onc's office. Needless to say, I got a late start on my chemo. I got home around 4:00.

Dr. S and I discussed my side effects - he checked my balance - which is horrible, and asked about my neuropathy. He had me stand with my feet together, then put my arms up like I was sleep walking, and the close my eyes. Oh boy - couldn't do that very well. (Yesterday, when I was being assessed at Wellbound I couldn't stand on one foot for more than seven seconds! When did THAT happen?). I told him about my lack of appetite and general feeling of blah - and about taking the zpack and feeling better once I took it. He is going to call in two antibiotics for me take as I see fit, since he is sensing a pattern with my fevers, etc. He also checked in with me on the bleeding, etc. He said that next time I was going to have to start the once a week regime. I told him I would prefer to try it now, and he said that was fine. So, long story short - I am now on weekly infusions. My schedule will be:

Week 1 (today) Avastin, Aredia and lower dose Abraxane

Week 2 lower dose Abraxane

Week 3 lower dose Abraxane & Avastin

Week 4 Chemo Break

Start over the following week

Dr S said he can not guarantee that my side effects will be less, as each person reacts differently to chemo. He hopes I will still have good quality of living with this new regime. If I don't like how it effects me, I can go back to the dose dense version. My onc nurse said that most people who switch to the lesser dose do very well as his/her body is already use to the big whammy, so they just breeze through the lesser dose. I hope she is right!

Another plus for the lower dose version is that, at least for now, I don't have to have the Neulasta shot tomorrow (YEA!). It is the shot that helps the body make white blood cells. It's side effects are sore muscles, achy bones and fevers. Often, people on the lower dose can maintain their blood counts since they aren't being hit so hard. I pray that this is true for me! If my next lab shows I can't do this - they will start the shot again.

My next scans are set for September 24. I will receive a bone scan and a CT scan of my chest, abdomen and pelvis. Time to start storming the heavens for great results. I would LOVE to see everything smaller, smaller, smaller - or even gone! Mmmmmm - sounds wonderful......

6 comments:

Annette said...

Hello cutie! I sure do hope that this new regimine is easier on you. I'll keep the prayers going for less side effects, better life quality and excellent scans at the end of the month!!

Melanie D. said...

Yes! I hope all signs are pointing to improvements. Improvements on the cancer front and on the daily quality of life front. Prayers and blessings to you my friend.

Rosebud said...

Less SE would be a blessing for sure I hope all goes well for you now..keep us posted...rosebud

Midwest Beach Girl said...

Well, I think that perhaps when I am back Mid-October, we can have a "No more Neulasta" party!! Yeah!!

Anonymous said...

Jacque,
I certainly hope you see improvement with the lesser, weekly doses. I think this is just an excuse to get you out of the house and past the shopping centers! I'll be anxious to hear how you react this week. Prayers will definitely be going up when you have your scans later this month.
Love, Donna

Be Inspired Always said...

I'm new to your blog. Sending blessings your way.







Jillian