Sunday, September 2, 2007

Labor Day Weekend

We had a busy day yesterday, so I didn't get a post done. Sorry about that! I spent my morning baking a cake and making a fruit salad to take to the 'Anderson Picnic' in Lincoln while Mark went and rented a power rake, thatched the yard and mowed and caught the grass. Whew! He was a busy guy!

Mark, Greg and I headed for Lincoln around 10:30. We left earlier than needed because it was a UNL game day, the State Fair was taking place in Lincoln and there is major road construction between Omaha and there. We had a few times we had to slow down, but we did get there in good time. We stopped and picked up Mom at her apartment and headed to Bert and Janet's house. Bert's band, Hardwood Dash, had to play for Husker Nation (a University 'tailgate' like event) so he didn't get home until mid-afternoon. Alan and Liz were in the process of moving to their new house, so we didn't see them until mid-afternoon, either. But Ken and Sharon came from Kearney and my niece, Holly, and her family and my niece, Ginger, were there, too. We had a nice visit and we gals headed over to tour Al & Liz's new house while the guys watched the game on the big screen. The new house is very nice and Liz has been busy painting walls and cupboards, and I am sure she will be happy when it is they are all settled.

We hurried home from Lincoln in time to change clothes and head to Lazlo's to help celebrate our friend Chris's birthday. We were tickled that the owner, Jeremy, was there. What a nice guy. As usual, he made sure we were well taken care of and even found a waitress willing to sing happy birthday to Chris (they usually don't do that). Afterwards we headed out to the Brabec's house and sat on the deck - it was a lovely night. They live out in the country near the Platte River, and the moon was beautiful (again) as it came up over the horizon.

My appetite has really been off all this week and I just haven't felt well. Not anything I could put my finger on - just blech. Yesterday, I finally decided to take the z pack that I was going to take a few weeks back when I had a low grade fever and then didn't take when the fever went away on it's own. Now I think I should have probably taken it, as I felt better last night, and even better this morning.

It is odd when your appetite is gone. Nothing sounds good. Nothing tastes good. Last night I ordered a pork chop dinner at Lazlo's with soup and mashed potatoes. The soup was delicious and when the meal came out it looked wonderful. The chop looked more like a fat juicy steak! I took my first bite and the flavor was great - but then - the texture got in the way. To my mouth it had a squishy, fatty texture. I KNOW there was nothing wrong with it - but I could not convince my mouth. I had thought the potatoes would be plain mashed potatoes, but no, they were garlic potatoes. I use to LOVE garlic mashed potatoes - but that no longer is true - they are just too rich for my taste buds. So, my meal consisted of the soup, a peice of bread, and three bites each of potatoes and meat. Luckily, Jeremy sent a couple of desserts to our table so I had a few bites of strawberry shortcake. Sweets, fruit, dairy and bland starches seem to be the only thing that actually taste 'right' to me right now. There are times, though, that only veggies sound good and sweets curl my toes - so maybe, in the long run, it all evens out.

My next chemo treatment would have been tomorrow, but because of Labor Day I set it up for Tuesday. However, I received a call a week or so ago telling me I had to move it to Wednesday as Dr. S was going to be out of the office. I wasn't happy at the time, but now, considering how I have felt, it is probably a good thing. I have decided to request going to weekly treatments to see if I handle them a bit better. I have been visiting with other bcmet survivors online, and there aren't many out there receiving chemo every three weeks like I am. Most are doing it weekly with their main side effect being that they are tired for a day or two. I can take tired. The weekly doses are much smaller so, theoretically, don't do as much damage. Hopefully this will be true for me. I decided if I don't like how I feel on the weekly, I can always go back to the dose dense every three week regime.

Two days ago I had a little scare. My left hip became very painful - especially when trying to stand up from a sitting position. In the past it had been my right hip that has given me problems. If you are a person with mets every little ache and pain becomes blown up in your mind. Is it progression? Has the chemo stopped working? I have been very fortunate as my bone pain has been fairly minimal - usually just bothering me when I first lay down at night or when sitting too long - like on car trips. Add to this that my digestive system has been 'off' and I was nervous. However, after a good nights sleep the pain subsided quite a bit, and I remembered having bent down to get out my big kitchen aid mixer from the bottom shelf of the cupboard and thinking 'I probably shouldn't be doing this' as I felt a twinge. So, long story short, I am pretty sure the pain was a pulled muscle. Whew!

As always, I appreciate your prayers. Hope you are enjoying your long weekend!

3 comments:

Annette said...

I hope you know that you are always in my prayers.
annette

Midwest Beach Girl said...

You are also in my prayers! I hope that all goes well with the new treatment plan! Love from Florida....

Melanie D. said...

Thanks for the update - O am always interested to hear how you are doing. Glad that you had a fun day, but too bad about your appetite! I hope that it returns to normal soon. That can't be any fun!