Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Early News

They say no news is good news. It stands to reason that early news is bad news. My wonderful oncologist (and I mean that sincerely - the wait is the worst) called me last night to tell me there was bad news. My cancer has now metastasized to my liver. Sigh. Not what I was hoping to hear. He said what was odd about it was the bones showed marked improvement (except for a new spot on my thigh) and my lungs and heart showed no new fluid. But then there was the liver......

Another problem was my tumor marker had quadrupled. This marker is an indication that the cancer is multiplying and on the move. Not what you want to hear.

OK, what does this mean? It means the chemo I was on is no longer effective. My onc wants to take a couple of days to decide how to proceed. He doesn't plan on starting the new chemo until Oct. 8, so he has time to do a little research and I have time to ask questions.

I again recommend to any of you who know someone who has breast cancer - newly diagnosed or metastatic - to check out breastcancer.org. This site has so much information, plus a discussion board of women (and men) from around the world who are dealing with breast cancer. Knowledge IS power!

Mark and I are handling this the best we can. I go from calm to full panic mode - but I know this will get 'easier' once a plan is in place and I know what to expect. A plan is always good, For now, I am going to rest and psych myself up for this new road I must head down. God is holding my hand - he will not let me stumble.

7 comments:

Diane Muir said...

Oh, Jackie ... my goodness. Oh, God the Creator ... You are all-sufficient and You provide for our every need. Please walk beside Jacque and Mark right now as they deal with new information and so many questions. Oh, Lord, help them to know Your peace and Your comfort. Guide their thoughts and the thoughts and mind of Jacque's oncologist. You are Lord over all. Thank You!

slbair said...

Jacque, you are an inspiration to us all. Your faith is so strong and true. Your attitude in the face of adversity is truly amazing. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Mark and your family.

Anonymous said...

Jacque- Our thoughts and prayers are with you. What courage you are showing! Love, Zora

Rosebud said...

My prayers are with you right now and I pray that your Onc will find the right treatment for you at this time. Wish I was closer to give you a hug...rosebud

Melanie D. said...

Onward Christian soldiers.

I'm praying for you tonight.

Stay strong my friend.

Annette said...

My dear sister, please know that even though I have no brilliant words of wisdom, no magic wand, I do have a heart full of love for you and your family and a mind filled with prayers for strength and miracles.
much love
Annette

Anonymous said...

You are courageous beyond words, cousin. My thoughts are and prayers are with you. Love, your cousin, Mary Dell