Monday, September 17, 2007

Only Lower Dose

I had a pleasant surprise today. I thought I would be getting the full round of chemo today, but instead I just received the lower dose Abraxane! So, that meant less time in the chair (an hour and a half compared to three and a half hours). Unfortunately, my white blood count was low, so I will have to go in for a Neulasta shot tomorrow. The hopes of not having to have the Neulasta shot is one of the things that made this lower dose regime look more palatable. (The Neulasta causes severe muscle aches, etc.) If I have to take it anyway ... Dr. S said it was a good thing I was taking an antibiotic, because of my blood count, he would have started me on one anyway for good measure.

Another pleasant surprise is I am going to get a short chemo break! Dr. S and I were talking about the Elton John concert - ends up we are both going to be attending it - and he said 'You don't want to feel yucky for the concert! Let's skip a week so you can feel good." Yea! So, I will get a week's hiatus. I am thrilled! Of course, this plan is dependent on how the tests come back - praying for good results!

I felt really nasty this morning. I would have some cramping and general feeling of blech. I seemed to be always on the verge of nausea, but never quite get there. By noon things had calmed down a bit and now I am feeling fairly well. I assume my antibiotics have kicked in - or what ever it was has run its course. I am hoping to feel even better tomorrow. A gal from church, Cheryl. invited me to join a class called Christian Believer that meets on Wednesday evenings. I had thought I would get back to choir, but my lungs just don't allow me to sing, yet, so thought this might be a nice alternative. Hence - I would really like to feel better for this class!

Strange weather this week. It was cool and fallish over the weekend, and back to summer now. The wind has been blowing up a storm today, and something (I think a rosebush) keeps knocking on the window in the living room. Now, you would think my mind would just say 'that's the wind', but each time it happens it makes me pause. The cat has found it disconcerting, too, and has to go check it out every now and then.

Mark isn't going to be home for supper tonight, so as I left chemo I called an order into Wheatfields. I ordered two turkey and Gouda butter buns - hold the tomato and lettuce - and a bowl of veggie soup. Picked my order up, got home and I got two turkey butter buns with tomato and lettuce - no Gouda. Sigh. By the way - those butter bun sandwiches are so good. It is is their dinner roll made into sandwiches. They have lots of varieties to choose from and they are only $2.00 a sandwich. The turkey is actual sliced roasted turkey - not just deli meat - yum!

4 comments:

Melanie D. said...

I ate at Wheatfields just last week. I finally tried the potato casserole. Yummmm.

Too bad about the gouda.

I hope you are feeling okay soon. And that the Neulasta does what it should without the aches.

Di said...

Don't you hate it when you have your mouth set for something and find out your order was not quite right? Oh well, in the whole scheme of things I guess life does go on.
I think skipping a week of chemo will be a wonderful Happy!!!
Sending prayers up often for good scans!! hugs, di

Rosebud said...

I hope your feeling gouda today..LOL Dutch gouda is to die for and I ought to know being just so Dutch..Hugs..Rosebud

Diane Muir said...

You're going to hear Elton John? Yea for you! I mean ... YEA!!! Max and I talked about it - I don't think it's in the cards this year, but one of these days! Max has his very first album - that guy was young! Such a young voice - it didn't even sound like the Elton John we know. Pretty cool, though.

Have you ever had the Gouda soup from Upstream? It's enough to make a person weep with pleasure. (hehe)

Two of my favorite people are in Christian Believer - Liz Oswald and Eva Arps. They are in the office a lot - doing membership stuff for us. Those are two great people - they're sisters.

Love ya!