Monday, August 13, 2007

Chemo #8

Chemo number 8 has been infused into my body. As normal, I feel fine today. The effects don't usually start hitting until Wednesday. Dr. S said if my side effects continue to worsen I may have to switch to getting chemo every week instead of every three weeks. He said that some people find that having a smaller dose lessens overall side effects. He stated we will reevaluate at my next infusion appointment (Sept. 4). I just don't want to be so tired all the time that all I want to do is sleep in my comfy chair - but then I also want to be able to walk (I had more muscle weakness after the last chemo) - so I guess I won't borrow trouble and just wait to see what transpires. One of the things I appreciate about Dr. S is how on top of things he is. When he mentioned the possibility of going to every week I told him I had wondered about that, as I had read about other ladies whose docs told them that every week was 30 to 44% more effective than the every three week regime I was getting. He said, yes, there had been one study that had reported that, but now it was generally felt that the lower dose once weekly was tolerated better and that all of the regimes were fairly equal as far as effectiveness.

Dr. S said he would order scans for me the end of September. He said he is happy with how I look and feels confident that we are on the right track. I request a copy of my blood work at each appointment and am happy to report that some things that you want the numbers to go down - have, and that others are stable. In fact one particular one is one point away from normal and it had been double what it should have been in March! Yea! By the way - Dr.
S was wearing his prosthesis today and appeared to be handling it quite well. After watching Mom learn to walk on hers I know how hard it is to reteach your mind to make it cooperate. Go Dr. S!

After thinking about Mom's problems with her surgeon, she will probably seek out a different doc. Who wants to go to someone that has 'pimped' her around like this doc? It is really disgusting if you get right down to it. I would LOVE it if she could find someone who would be able to go in, do a repair on it, and fill her up with antibiotics rather than what the other doc was going to do - which was to cut out the entire broken knee replacement and leave it out for 3 or more months to get rid of the infection, then go back in with a new knee replacement.

I have PEO tonight, and Joan is going to pick me up - which I really appreciate. I have to take my laptop along to take notes for tonight's program which is our own version of 'Hints from Heloise'. I will be sure to post all the hints that we receive. This should be fun!

2 comments:

Melanie D. said...

Can't wait to see your hints!

I hope that you stay strong this time! Hopefully the side effects are minimal!

Midwest Beach Girl said...

I will keep you in my thoughts the next few days. I'm so glad that you are seeking out new and better healthcare for you and your mother when so many others just settle and complain. Way to be in control!