Saturday, August 18, 2007

Taste & Jazz

I seemed to rally yesterday afternoon, and while I didn't feel 100% normal (or at least what is my new normal) I felt OK. Mark and I went to dinner at Taste and then to the Rockbrook Village free outdoor concert. Steve Raybine, a local jazz musician with national recognition, was playing. Our friends, Chris and Bonnie, met us at the concert. Unfortunately, what started as a few scattered raindrops quickly became a steady rain. Even with umbrellas we were getting soaked. We finally opted out and walked over to the Garden Cafe for dessert.

Have you ever eaten at Taste? It is locally owned and is really quite good. There is the one at Rockbrook and another one that opened on 132nd & Dodge. It has retro decor and serves very unusual, but good, food. Last night Mark had the swordfish on rice with a mango salsa. I had the beef tenderloin kabobs on porcini pasta. Both were excellent. The portions are smaller(actually normal - but restaurants usually over size things), but the price is very affordable. Each of our meals was only $12.00. My appetite is not all that big these days so Mark was able to get full by eating his plus half of my meal. Actually, a guy might do well to order a double portion of the meat as the price is so reasonable it would still be in line with other restaurants. We also had the sweet potato fries with their aioli sauce as an appetizer. In all, it was a very good meal. Oh - it is on the Passport card, too - which means you get one meal free! If you eat out a lot, a Passport card can save you money - it is well worth it's price.

We don't have any huge plans today. Hopefully I can make myself go ride my exercise bike (OK, I WILL go ride my bike) and get a few things done around the house. I should probably run to the grocery store, too. So, with that in mind, I had best get busy. Have a great day!

3 comments:

Diane Muir said...

Yea that you are feeling better and yea! that you got to go out last night. Raybine is a long-time friend of mine and Carol's. I actually knew him in the 80s when I was in college in Iowa. He was doing his doctorate work at U of IA while I was in Cedar Rapids. Then, one day he showed up at Insty-Prints. I couldn't believe it! Haven't seen him since we closed, but he is a great musician.

Have a wonderful day! See, I look FORWARD to Saturdays when I can be a complete and utter sloth {giggle}.

Melanie D. said...

I hope that you have a great day! We are off to my niece's b-day party and my sis's house. It's about an hour drive. Should be fun. I'm a little bummed, because that meant missing the MS party. Jenna's band is playing and I've been wanting to see them. Oh well, family first.

Talk to you soon!

nikkis30by30 said...

I am glad that you are back on the uphill stretch. I always read your blogs and when you tell about somewhere you ate, I call Mom and Dad and tell them that maybe they should try it out. I will do that with Taste also. 132nd and Dodge isn't far from them.

We are off to the Shafer (my maternal grandfather's family) reunion. Will not only get to see Stacey, but my great uncle that was so ill a feww weeks ago. I'm very excited.

Tomorrow is our first day of school!!! YAAAYYY!! LOL!