Friday, March 16, 2007

Overwhelmed

I feel pretty good today. I woke up at 2:00 a.m. with an earache in my right ear which quickly went down my neck to my port side and then radiated in waves around to my back. It intensified to the point I sat up and luckily the pain quickly subsided. I got up and perused the internet until I felt secure the pain wouldn’t return, then slept in my chair, sitting slightly upright. I have no idea what it was, and the oncology nurse was stumped, too. Hopefully my port was just complaining about being used and abused yesterday.
I have an anti-nausea medication that I was instructed to take this morning and tomorrow morning as a precaution. My stomach feels fine, so either the pill is working or the chemo isn’t bothering it, yet. Four years ago, the third day, in the afternoon, was when I got sick, so we will see how tomorrow goes. I am hoping for the best!
This morning, I drove myself to have my blood tested at the cardiologists and had my Neulasta shot at the oncologists. Neulasta is called a 'smart drug'. It lays in wait until your blood counts start to drop and then helps the body manufacture white blood cells. The only side effect of Neulasta is bone pain. Not pleasant, but doesn’t last that many days.
Michelle, my department head, and coworkers Melanie, Jody, Melissa, Jill, and Darcy brought sandwiches over to my house on their lunch break and we had lunch together. Today is a teacher work day at school, so they had extra time to spend with me. I felt very special, because we teachers don’t get to go out to lunch very often, so was happy they spent it with me. It was wonderful seeing them and catching up. They brought two beautifully framed pictures for me, one of our special education department staff and one of my students. Next they presented me with a huge card from the Millard South Staff and an envelope with money, collected from a jeans day our principal, Dr. Curtis Case, arranged in my honor. I was overwhelmed. I had done so well up until that time not crying! Is it any wonder I am so upset about having to leave my Millard South family, and feel so blessed to have been a part of it these past 11 years? Thank you, everyone. Again I am humbled.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jacque,
I totally agree that Millard South Sped Dept. and Millard South staff as a whole are truly special. I loved it there and think about my time there with a great deal of fondness.

If you ever need a driver, check with me. I'm only about 10 minutes away and I do have a great deal of flexibility in my routine.
Lynne E.

Diane Muir said...

It's so hard to accept that people 'need' to take care of you and by accepting their gifts (stuff, time, etc.), you are caring for them too! I have come face to face that over and over in the last few months. I kept protesting that I was fine - and no one needed to do anything for me, and then I realized, they 'needed' to do it for me! To express their love for me and to feel like they had been able to care for me. For people like me ... and you ... who care for people all the time, it's not an easy position to accept. You're doing it with grace. I love seeing how many people love you. It has to be such an affirmation of the woman you are!