Thursday, March 15, 2007

Round One Is Over!

I am sitting in an easy chair in front of a big screen TV watching ‘The View’ while my pre-chemo drugs run through my somewhat tender port. They give me Benedryl, a steroid, and an anti-nausea medicine before they start the rest of the drugs. Today I will get Aredia – the bone strengthener from my last three treatments, Abraxane – the chemo that will take my hair quickly and lower my blood counts even quicker. I will not receive the Avastin until next month, in order to give my body time to heal from all the surgeries. Avastin is the drug that keeps tumors from making its own blood supply – very cutting edge.
I have my treatments at the Methodist Estabrook Cancer Center. The treatment room is a very large room with large, bright windows on three sides. There is a circular desk towards the back. There are 32 large easy chairs situated around the room. Some areas have TVs, some none. The treatment area is new after a huge construction/remodel project just finished this last summer, so it is bright and attractive. I brought my slippers to keep my feet warm and they gave me blanket to snuggle under. The nurses here are very attentive and kind. I have packed a light lunch and I have water, juice and pop at my command.
I dozed a bit there – but I am done now and feeling just fine. My doctor says I can drive myself next time - which is nice.
Mark and I had and appointment this afternoon and now I am getting ready to go out to eat with our friends Steve and Diane (Mark is picking Steve up at the classic car show at Qwest Center, where Steve is dropping off his ’69 Chevelle for this weekend’s car show. I finagled diner out for Di and I).
Thanks for all of your prayers. So far so good.

3 comments:

Kaitlin said...

~Jacque,
I'm glad today went so well. ONE DOWN!! I'm glad that you guys got to go out to dinner. The guys shouldn't be the only ones to have the fun! LOVE YOU TONS!!
Love,
Kaitlin

Cheryl said...

Hi -

I catch your blogs now and then and am glad you are keeping very upbeat. I have a close friend that went through breast cancer surgery and treatments have the same attitude. It's amazing what the power of the mind and prayers can do!

Keeping you in my thought and prayers - your cuz - Cheryl

JustAnotherDay said...

jacque,

so glad to hear that things are going so well after your first treatment. I will continue to pray that everything else will be as smooth and easy for you the whole way through :) It really brightens up my day when I read your blog and you are doing well :)

my mom and i are dress shopping tonight! keep your fingers crossed that i like one of them! i will have to send you pictures of my favorites! (btw, did I leave "the knot" magazine at your house last weekend?)

Lots of love and prayers being sent your way!

Courtney