Saturday, March 3, 2007

Where to Start

I am not even sure where to start. On Monday I will be having the sac around my heart drained. Over the last week fluid has accumulated around my heart to the point that this could be causing the shortness of breath. While I am not happy about this, it at least explains why I am having such trouble breathing and walking more than a few steps - especially since Dr. Thommi said my symptoms just didn't match my lung troubles. The operation is short. The heart/thoracic doctor, Dr. Batter (yes, a new doctor), will make a small incision in the base of my sternum, stick a tube up to the sac, drain the fluid and make a small slit in the diaphragm for any future fluid to drain. In the big scheme of heart surgery this is minimal Of course, he had to say 'All surgery has it's danger', but assured me that he foresaw no complications.
My friend, Bonnie, works on the heart floor here at Methodist. I asked her opinion on Dr. Batter and she said he is excellent and is who she would have had done her mother's surgery had she needed it earlier this year. I told Dr. Batter this, and my nurse chimed in that her mother had Dr. Batter for her heart surgery. This made me feel like I was truly being watched over.
Dr. T has cut back on my predinsone, thank the Lord! I have only slept 3 hours the last two nights and I had become very teary over little things. I also have had to have umpteen insulin shots since IV prednisone spikes your blood sugar.
The 'good' news is perhaps the chest tube won't have to be done if this heart drain does the trick. I would certainly vote for that!
Oh, my dear faithful friends and family - prayers, prayers, prayers!

5 comments:

Diane Muir said...

You know what? Right now ...

Dear Father, I pray that you use this doctor's hands to bring healing to Jacque's body. Hold her close and give her comfort and peace through all of this. I thank you for being her strength and her joy and I ask that you continue to hold her up. Thank you for all you have done in the past and I ask that you continue to be close to Jacque and her family and they deal with each new stress. Amen.

Patty Stone said...

Dr. Batter was my doctor for my lung biopsy. I liked him; didn't like what he found, but I knew going in that it would be that way. I'm sure this will get you going in the right direction. It has always seemed to me that there had to be fluid around your heart since it all seemed to go together

Melanie D. said...

Prayers for you, Jacque! I hope that you can get some sleep the next two nights and that Monday will bring healing and relief. I'm glad that you've got a good doctor. And thank you to Diane for writing such a beautiful prayer, I just repeated it for you now. God Bless.

Krista said...

The prayer says it all! I'm thinking about you and wishing you relief on Monday. Can't wait to hear from you after the surgery to let us all know that you are feeling much better!
Krista

Di said...

Jacque,
I can just feel the many prayers going up for YOU as your many family and friends read your blog. I know they will all give you comfort and help you as you go through your surgery. Tears are ok, you deserve to let down at times. We all understand!!! Of course you are talking to the "Queen of Tears" as you know.