Monday, March 12, 2007

Two Times Today

I decided to write another blog today so I could pass on the info that I will have my port put in this Wednesday at 8:30 a.m. in outpatient surgery and then start my chemo sometime after 9:00 a.m. on Thursday. I love your prayers and am counting on them to support me through these two trying days.
Peg, a friend and coworker, came by today to visit and bring me back our 'lucky' wig. I wore it four years ago, and then passed it on when Peg started treatments for endrometrical (sp) cancer. She has been through many battles with her cancer, and is such a trooper. She also brought back my favorite hats from last time. I am happier to see my hats than the wig (that wig was always very uncomfortable for me - I inherited my father's oversized head). She also has decided to not return to teaching and announced it recently, so we have much in common. When she left, she announced it was nap time for both of us - and she was right. I kicked back in my comfy chair and slept away for about an hour.
My friend, Patty, gave me a recipe from the net for a chicken rice meal that was low fat and low salt. I made it today (my one accomplishment today) and it wasn't half bad. I asked Mark if he liked it, and he said "It was OK - but does it fit your diet?" I told him it was from the American Heart Assoc. and he said 'In that case - it was excellent!" Thanks, Patty!
Healthy eating has agreed with me. I have lost more weight since I have been home and can really see it in my clothes. I know my oncologist isn't going to be happy about the weight loss, but my cardiologist should be thrilled. I can't make both happy. I am eating very healthy. I am eating plenty and often - when my body tells me it is hungry. Hopefully all of this will help once the chemo starts its ravages, too.

My son, Greg, is majoring in Exercise Science, and has be extolling the virtues of probiotics. Probiotics - yogurt like products - are suppose to be very helpful for people going through chemo. I will have to visit more with him about how much and how often when he gets back from his cruise. I am already a daily yogurt consumer. Hopefully this will help, too.
Life is good. Seize the day!

7 comments:

Carol said...

Jacque,

You know how proud I am of you and all you have gone through since December. I also know that the rest of this week will be very tiring for you. Your daily nap will be very good for you so you will have up time when Mark gets home from work. If you need something let me know. Thinking of you all the time.

Carol

Melanie D. said...

Sounds like another good day. Staying home and getting that R&R is agreeing with you. I'm so glad that things are working out for you to get on with beating all of this. It's going to make one hell of a book in a year. :-) You'll have all of your notes to get it started right here. You can title it "Rock Bottom". I like that.

Good luck with everything Wednesday. Count on more emails tomorrow as I think of things. There is so much to think of, I just can't think of it all!

Beth said...

Good Luck on Wednesday my friend. I have a ton of hats too, if you are looking for some more variety, let me know.

Beth

Joyce said...

It was good to talk with Mark on Sunday. Sounded like you had a very busy day but seeing MOM is always good for one's soul. I know how much my Mom helped when I needed a boost, and yours has weathered so much and is still strong. WE have lots of prayers heading to you from AZ to So. Carolina so we have you covered!! Lots of love

cko said...

Jacque,
I'll be praying especially hard for you tomorrow morning. That recipe sounded good -- probably didn't qualify under Mark's "casserole category" though! I've read a little on the benefits of yogurt -- I'd like to find out more from Greg on that as well.
I have PLENTY of hats to share with you too! I'll have to bring them over. One silver lining: at least you won't have to worry about shaving your legs! =)

Love and Hugs -- Courtney

Di said...

Dear Jacque,
Many of your sisters at PEO were asking about you and of course praying for you daily. They all want to know how they can help??? Please start making a list of things you need or want so I can offer ideas for your FAN CLUB!!!

You will be in good hands with Dr. Reilly tomorrow. Just rest as much as you can to have some energy on reserve.

Love you dear friend, Hugs, Di

Diane Muir said...

I know this is the beginning of a long stretch of time for you ... and I'm so glad that you feel you can express yourself here. I'm thrilled that you have such an amazing support group. These people are simply the coolest! And I don't even know them! We just keep praying and praying! Love you! Diane