Sunday, March 18, 2007

Tribute

I had a nice evening last night. Diane picked me up and we met Bonnie at the Tasting Room for dinner - girls night out! I had a delicious pork loin with onion jam and bordelaise sauce, that didn't set well on my stomach later - but it wasn't too bad - just a little queasy. Lesson learned - go bland these first few days after treatment. I even had a fairly good nights sleep, going to bed a little after nine and not getting up until four - then dozing a bit in my chair. Nice.
Last year, my department head, Michelle, came to me and said my class was too big and the district had decided to split my caseload of students. They were going to hire a new teacher to share ‘MY’ kids. I was not a happy camper. I insisted that I could handle my caseload and worried about my parent’s reaction. Michelle stood firm.
She hired Melanie Dostal, a second year teacher, who had worked the previous year at the Millard Young Adult Program – a wonderful program where my students go once they have graduated from high school until they are 21. I had heard many good things about Melanie, but was still a little leery about how all of this was going to work. I didn’t need to worry.
Melanie is a breath of fresh air – and the most mature 29 year old I know. Previously, she worked five years for the state with adults with special needs as a service coordinator, so she has a wealth of knowledge concerning students with special needs. She has two little children, Brenna, three, and Mason – somewhere under a year. She completed her masters degree while working, pregnant and raising a child.
I couldn’t have selected a better co-teacher if I had hand selected her myself. We share so many of the same ideas and values, and complimented each other’s teaching styles. Melanie was a sponge – soaking up our program’s ins and outs during the first semester – and then being thrust into the leadership role when I was diagnosed with cancer. I had the most fun, I think, in my teaching career, teaching with Melanie last semester – and I usually have fun!
Throughout my life, God has shown his presence in such concrete ways. Four years ago, with my first breast cancer diagnosis, he gave me excellent classroom paras and supportive administration & staff to help me through my treatments. This time I again had the excellent paras and supportive administration & staff – but the true key has been Melanie. While it wasn’t easy for me to walk away from teaching – it was so much easier knowing that the program would be in such capable hands. Melanie – you were a gift from God and I am so grateful He brought you into my life. Please don’t ever forget that.

4 comments:

Di said...

Dear Jacque,
Sorry to hear your meal did not set well last night. Sure had a fun evening with you and Bonnie, as I always do!
I know Melanie reads your blog faithfully and I want to tell her how much I love her as well. I have never met this sweet girl, but know her through your kind words. So often we can't figure out the plan for our lives, and then later look back and it is all clear. God is holding you up, as I know you can feel, every step of the way.
Love you dear friend. Try not to do too much. That is my biggest worry with you!!! You never have been a very good sitter. Hugs,Di

Beth said...

Good morning my friend! So you went to the Tasting Room?! What a great place, even if you don't have wine. Please include my name on a list for errand running, Dr.'s appointments etc., I'd be happy to help whenever for whatever. Maybe if it's nice out, we can take the top off the car and pretend we're Thelma and Louise! Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Beth

Krista said...

Hey Jacque!
I am just getting caught up on all of your activity of the last week. I went to sunny and warm Florida with a friend to visit her daughter in Sarasota.
You were certainly busier than I was! Glad your first treatment went so well and that you are tolerating it with so few negative effects.
I have never been to the Tasting Room so I'm glad it got rave reviews from you even if it came back to haunt you a little later.
Here is some good news for you! I should be a grandma by the end of the week! Joni has been in Methodist since Tuesday and things are progressing a little each day. Every day "da boys" are inside her is a blessing but it is safe for her to have them now. They are each close to 5 pounds so that is good! I'll let you know when it happens.
I am so close to you that I certainly would love to be put on the list of people that can help out! Please, please! I can be there in 2 minutes! Are you hungry for any Dutch pasteries? I just happen to have a fresh batch!
Krista

Melanie D. said...

Speechless. But thanks.

You know - I really wish we could have had fun a little longer - but I'm glad you are able to focus your energies on your health now. I will take good care of your kids, I promise.

Get some rest - I'm glad you're feeling well so far.